Sign in:

Cubelets Lesson Plan – Easy Cubelets Robotics

Home Forums Education Forum Cubelets Lesson Plan – Easy Cubelets Robotics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christie Veitch
    Participant

Cubelets Activity – Easy Cubelets Robotics

Cubelets SIX kit and Additional Think Cubelets in the Classroom, 45-60 minute activity

This lesson plan is ideal for beginning robotics students as young as 5 and up to 12 and older because Cubelets allow students to quickly snap together components and understand sensors and actuators. Students can immerse themselves quickly in robotics by immediately assembling and testing working robots. These activities start at the least advanced level but offer suggestions for more advanced groups of students by scaling from level 1 to level 3 for each segment. Great for camps, museums, and 1 hour classes!

Download the PDF here! http://www.modrobotics.com/edu/1HourBasicRoboticsWithCubelets.pdf

Elise Cobb
    Participant

Are Cubelets educationally beneficial towards older pupils in school systems?

Christie Veitch
    Participant

Of course! All of the other lesson plans give age ranges such as “for 6 – 8 year olds” and “for ages 12 and up!” This one use “levels” because it was developed more for camps, museums doing workshops, and hands on exhibits – they might have kids of many ages in the same group. But the same idea applies – if you’ve done the activities in Level 1 and want to do more, why not do Level 2 and level 3!

I’m pleased to say that I’v collaborated with schools, camps, museums, clubs, and other places where students are interested in building and robots that represent ages 4 all the way up to college!.

Great question.

Gellert Nagy
    Participant

Hi Christie,

Happy New Year first of all!
    I want to start Cubelets courses here in Hungary for kids ages 6 to 14 in different classes. The provided curricula is really a great help to follow. Thank you for your hard work and dedication. My plan is to have 1.5 hours session each week and follow your lesson plan. What is your experience – in a team of 6-12 kid, – how many weeks required to finish all the classes and activities? My guesstimate is that it would take around 3-4 month. What is your experience? Is this lesson plan has already been implemented somewhere the same way and order? Would it be possible to get in touch with those teachers, educators who have already done this for advice, and feedback?

Thanks a lot,
    Gellert

Gellert Nagy
    Participant

Hi Christie,

You have done a great job with lesson plans, however my experience is that it cannot be followed the way it is written nor content wise and neither time wise. It is just too boring that way for the kids even for Primary 1 students. Actually the lesson plans just gives ideas for the teacher what to talk about instead of something to be able to follow. There are a way too many repetitions and overlapping in the lesson plans. Initially I planned 1.5 hour classes – based on the lesson plans – but luckily later I changed it to 1 hour only because the lesson plans just don’t give enough ammunition for the teacher for one and half hour of teaching. No matter it says this activity or that activity planned for 20 min. but many of them takes much less of a time.

My experience shows that the functions of each cubelet is very easy to figure out and it really doesn’t take so many hours to explain and explain it again and experience it again. A normal kid after 1 hour of play will understand 80% of everything. Compare to this there is just a way too many repetition in the lesson plans.

I can also say that it was really great idea that Modrobotics developed the way to attach cubelets to LEGOs otherwise cubelets themselves don’t give too much variety for creative kids especially the basic kits of 6. This is the only way I can make sure they don’t get bored.

This is my experience after teaching kids of 6 to 8 years old for 2nd months. We haven’t started moss robotics yet but I am already afraid of all those small balls running away in the classroom in every directions possible.

Cheers,
    Gellert

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Gellert Nagy. Reason: spelling mistake
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  Gellert Nagy.
    Christie Veitch
    Participant

Hi Gellert,

I think that in this country, the chance to do hands-on, self-directed investigations has a lot of draw for kids. I’ve personally taught this lesson plan to over 1000 students (many of them older than the 6-8 year old range you are describing) as well as sharing it with many camps, clubs, and teachers (reaching thousands more students) that have described really high motivation and interest.

Sorry your students were more advanced with technology and scientific method and exploration than this lesson plan projected! As always, thanks for your feedback.

Joe Agabiti
    Participant

Christie, I am a 7/8 grade MS technology teacher and my supervisor just suggested I take a look at your products. They seem like very cool kits for experimentation and investigations, but what are the programming capabilities? Can we code the robots to do autonomous functions or change the way they interact with either text based coding or a block based code system similar to scratch? if text based what language is it? I have just looked around the site and was not able to find any information about it.

I did see the blue tooth cube that can be added to the system, and was hopeful it would allow the ability to up load functions, but seems to be only for remote control or data logging functions.

Can you let me know?

Joe

Christie Veitch
    Participant

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for reaching out with your question. I’ve worked with a lot of teachers that are excited to have their students go from building cool robots to changing their behavior by reprogramming. as our educator on staff I totally agree that using Cubelets in this way would scaffold nicely for students – build robots out of the box, investigate how individual functions combine to create the whole behavior, and experiment with how sequence and orientation of the functions changes the system. Then reprogram the functions or robot to do other things. This progression gives kids a motivation to learn to program.

Right now we suggest three things:

1. The Computational Thinking Unit which can be found here: http://www.modrobotics.com/forums/topic/cubelets-class-unit-computational-thinking/

2. Using the apps that you mentioned. I actually find it’s a nice step towards getting kids to understand that numbers and values are what controls the behavior and to think more about the entire system – it leads towards deeper pre-programming knowledge. As you mentioned, having a Bluetooth is necessary for this step.

3. Continuing with a Bluetooth Cubelet, text based reprogramming in Cubelets Studio is here: http://www.modrobotics.com/cubelets/apps/cubelets-studio/

You are not alone in mentioning that a system for reprogramming that’s novice-friendly would be a good fit for Cubelets and we are considering next steps in this area. For now, I’d love your thoughts on what I’ve offered above, and please don’t hesitate to ask more questions!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Education Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.